Saturday, September 22, 2007

Iftar

It's Ramadan here. And, for anyone who doesn't know, Ramadan is where the they fast all day and then break fast at Iftar (I don't really know how to spell that) which is at sundown about 6:00. This lasts for a month. They tend to be tired and cranky all day, and then at 6:00 they usually get together with friends or family and have a party where there is too much food for anyone to eat.

My host family invited me to their company's celebration since a majority of their company is fasting. (They're not, but tons of really good Egyptian food and music is something no one should ever pass up. Especially when it's at the JW Marriott.) I was their orphan child because I wore jeans and everyone else was kind of dressed up. They also introduced me as a squatter.

The JW Marriott is like this magical place. It's outside of down town Cairo and is like a world all it's own. We walked in and one of the girls I was living with was like oh my gosh it's like schlitterbauhn. They had a huge pool, wave pool, slides, and beachy sand areas. All these people on the beach were just with Haliburton. And, this is seriously in the middle of the desert.


This was our table. You can't really tell how much food is there. But they hadn't even brought out the main courses.


This was the main course. We also had tons of this macaroni and cheese type stuff with meat and yogurt or something. More vegetables, more traditional wrapped rice, pitas, and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. It was more than I could ever eat... and I eat a lot here.



And, the Iftar night ended with Kelsey and I getting henna with one of their friends. I'm thinking about permanently getting one. Except for the fact whenever I look down at my feet I forget that it's a henna flower, think it's a bug, and semi-freak out. So, probably not.



Last night we worked the Brian Doerksen concert (a canadian worship band). It was wonderful, I didn't take any pictures except for this one at about midnight when we were just finishing cleaning up the park. But, I know some other people did so I might post some of those later.


If you can't tell this is Brent and Matt sitting on the hood of a mini truck, holding stacked chairs as they drive down the streets of Cairo so that we wouldn't have to come back. Actually, Asha got up there too. We, the people inside the truck, were afraid that the roof was going to cave in. It didn't, but we didn't check for dents.

We're keeping busy here, I think they said we'd be slowing down a bit now but none of us have picked what kinds of things we're going to be working with this year. So, if you want, and wouldn't mind praying for me and my team to find our different niches as we finish up looking at the different organizations, I would really appreciate it! (Oh, and Emily just graduated from massage therapy school and got a job so you should all congratulate her too!)

1 comment:

John said...

You should not get a tattoo.

Congratulations, Emily.