Wednesday, October 31, 2007

past tense

I started working with the girls all day Tuesday and Wednesday this week, and it is amazing. I end up leaving smelling like cinnamon and flower sealant, and smiling about how ridiculous they must think I am.

The girls speak much better English (which isn't too much) than I do Arabic (I can only speak in the past tense and know like 20 verbs), so they get a lot of blank stares and "ana mafahemtish"s which means I don't understand, but we laugh a lot.

I am so thankful for this community of women and the opportunity that it brings for everyone involved.

On an almost completely unrelated note, I kept eating these amazing sesame seed cookies things and they saw I was hungry, so they went out and got me like 3 bags of chipsys (flavors: chicken, tomato, and lime) and then shared their bread with me. Yostina taught me how to make a chipsy sandwich. Which is really just chips stuck in a hot dog bun. It was kind of amazing and now might be in the top 10 least nutritious meals that I enjoy.

1 comment:

Joey Delgado said...

What age are these girls?

do you still wear your hair in a ponytail?

did you have to buy teacher clothes?

do they have burgers in egypt?

are you allowed to say "pray" on your blog?

what kind of clothes are cool in egypt (jeans, khakis, shorts, t-shirts, polo, lacoste, a/x,)?

does nike make veils?

what is their big national rival? jordan? syria? chad?